Spynie Palace, also known as Spynie Castle, was the fortified seat of the Bishops of Moray for about 500 years in Moray, Scotland. The founding of the palace dates back to the late 12th Century. It is situated at Grid Ref NJ 230658, about 500m from the location of the first officially settled Cathedral Church of the Diocese of Moray, in present-day Spynie Churchyard. For most of its occupied history, the castle was not described as a palace — this term first appeared in the Registry of Moray in a writ of 1524.
Read article on Wikipedia