Howell School is a historic school building in Dothan, Alabama. The school was built in 1902 to replace the previous grammar school that had burned in 1901. It was named in 1916 for the recently deceased Dr. Robert Graves Howell, who was mayor when the first grammar school was built. A second school was built in 1911, and Howell was replaced by Minnie T. Heard Elementary School in 1942. After being used by the Salvation Army during World War II, the building was converted for use as a textile mill in 1947. A number of companies operated out of the building until 1952, when the Dothan Manufacturing Company took over the property. A one-story addition was constructed on the front of the building in 1965, obscuring the façade. The plant closed in 1997, and was sold to the Southern Alabama Regional Council on the Aging in 2003, before the city re-acquired it in 2008.
Read article on Wikipedia