EMD Model 40
The EMD Model 40 was a two-axle diesel-electric locomotive built by Electro-Motive Corporation (EMC), and its corporate successor, General Motors' Electro-Motive Division (EMD) between August 1940 and April 1943. Nicknamed "critters", eleven examples of this locomotive were built. Powered by twin General Motors Detroit Diesel 6-71 diesel engines, which produce a combined 300 horsepower (224 kW). Original buyers included the Electro-Motive Corporation/EMD Plant #2 switcher, Defense Plant Corporation-4 units, the United States Army 3 units, and the United States Navy 2 units, General Motors Cleveland Diesel Division 1 unit.